The West Morris Regional High School District (WMRHSD) Board of Education (BOE) was established on March 2, 1956. In December of that year the Board voted to purchase approximately 40 acres of land (of what was known as the John De Cue Farm) and issued a $2 million construction bond.
Initially, the District served approximately 555 high school students (grades 9-12) from the communities of Chester Borough, Chester Township, Mendham Borough, Mendham Township, Mt. Olive Township and Washington Township.
Mt. Olive created its own K-12 district in 1977.
The original District school, now West Morris Central (WMC), was built in 1958 and West Morris Mendham High School was built in 1970.
Through the years both District high schools have expanded / upgraded to meet the changing academic and technical needs of growing student populations and NJ State graduation requirements. A major renovation and expansion program completed in 2008 allows the District to continue fulfilling its mission.