About

The West Morris Regional High School District (WMRHSD) consists of two high schools that are known for their challenging curriculum, academic excellence and supportive communities: 


  • West Morris Central (WMC), built in 1958, is located in, and serves, Washington Township.

  • West Morris Mendham (WMM), built in 1970, is located in Mendham Borough, and serves Chester Borough, Chester Township, Mendham Borough, and Mendham Township.
West Morris Regional High School District has approximately 2,800 students. The staff is comprised of approximately 260 professional and support personnel, more than 60 percent of whom hold advanced degrees. It offers a four-year program in all college preparatory subjects and a wide range of regular and electives. 

The District has the highest number of International Baccalaureate program graduates in New Jersey. Advanced Placement courses are also offered in the core subject areas. Students can benefit from the District's long-term association with the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History as a designated "history school." 

In addition to a rich academic program, the District offers a variety of co-curricular programs, including athletics, clubs, publications, and productions. Some students attend vocational classes at the Morris County School of Technology in Denville through an ongoing partnership arrangement. 

Students consistently perform above State and national averages on standardized tests, and 88 percent of our graduates continue their education beyond high school.


The West Morris Regional High School District (WMRHSD) Board of Education (BOE) was established on March 2, 1956. In December of that year the Board voted to purchase approximately 40 acres of land (of what was known as the John De Cue Farm) and issued a $2 million construction bond. 

Initially, the District served approximately 555 high school students (grades 9-12) from the communities of Chester Borough, Chester Township, Mendham Borough, Mendham Township, Mt. Olive Township, and Washington Township.

Mt. Olive created its own K-12 district in 1977.

The original District school, now West Morris Central (WMC), was built in 1958 and West Morris Mendham High School was built in 1970.

Through the years both District high schools have expanded / upgraded to meet the changing academic and technical needs of growing student populations and NJ State graduation requirements. A major renovation and expansion program completed in 2008 allows the District to continue fulfilling its mission.